• Mobile broadband subscriptions are expected to grow from nearly 1 billion in 2011 to more than 5 billion globally in 2016 1
• As of March 2012, 45% of American adults were smartphone owners—up from 35% in May 2011 2
• In 2011, global smartphone shipments exceeded personal computer shipments for the first time in history 3
• Tablet shipments are expected to reach 253 million units in 2016—more than 4 times what they are today 4
Mobile can’t be ignored. And if you want mobile users to find your property online, you’ll need to adjust your SEO strategy. Mobile searchers are in a hurry. They need location info. They want to find what they’re looking for now. Here are a few tips to help you prepare for mobile property searches and maximize mobile web traffic.
Define Your Location
Location is key for mobile searches. List your property’s location prominently on your site and sign up for Google+ Local. With a Google+ Local listing, your property will pop up in local searches. Anyone walking through your neighborhood will be able to find your property on their mobile device’s map.
Customize Your Keywords
There’s a huge difference between a touchscreen keyboard and the real deal. Mobile searchers don’t have the patience to enter lengthy phrases into a search engine. For them, searches are short and to the point. Instead of, “two-bedroom apartment new york,” they may search for, “2bed NYC.” Be sure to include truncated keywords in your site to account for touchscreen searches.
Streamline Your Site
- One website, one URL: You won’t split your SEO mojo among two or more sites. Search engines will only have one site to crawl and index.
- Only one site to update and maintain: Fresh content is crucial to maintaining strong SEO. With a responsive site, you’ll only have to update content in one place.
- One project, one bill: You’ll only have to build a site once, saving time and money.
More and more people are using mobile devices to access the Web. It takes a lot of work to maximize your online presence for mobile users, but the payoff can be tremendous.
- 1: http://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/default/files/omb/egov/digital-government/digital-government.html
- 2: http://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/default/files/omb/egov/digital-government/digital-government.html
- 3: http://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/default/files/omb/egov/digital-government/digital-government.html
- 4: Juniper Research, “Tablets, Viva La Evolution!”