How to Stay Ahead of Social Media Algorithms
Algorithms. As marketers, we hear about them all the time, and it seems like they’re always changing – especially when it comes to social media. One day you’re at the top of your followers’ feeds, the next you might not show up at all. But all is not lost. If you want to stay ahead of the social media algorithms, there’s only one thing you need to do: read the network’s mission statement.
Why Social Media Mission Statements Matter
What does a mission statement have to do with social media algorithms? A lot actually. Algorithm rules and behaviors are defined by people – the very same people whose purpose it is to solidify the network’s mission. Take Facebook, for example:
“Founded in 2004, Facebook’s mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. People use Facebook to stay connected with friends and family, to discover what’s going on in the world, and to share and express what matters to them.”
The key statement is “to build community and bring the world closer together.” If you want to be rewarded on Facebook, you need to share content that adheres to their mission.
How to Win on Social Media
Earlier this month, members of the G5 team attended the 2019 Multifamily Social Media Summit in Napa, California. We sat in on a presentation from Dylan Sellberg, Product Manager at HubSpot. Here are his tips on how to win on the top three social networks for real estate marketers:
- Engage directly – never leave an engagement unengaged
- Create highly visual content – beautiful, interesting images make a big difference
- Share more video – greater than 30 seconds will get more boosts by Facebook
- Ask more questions – get your audience talking
- Host live events – they are the champions of Facebook and are not going to be beat by anything prerecorded
- Share behind the scenes – show the culture behind the company
- Champion your audience – if they are doing cool things, tell the world!
- Conduct competitions – drive sharing aspect
- Use new media – 3D photos and 360 videos are a novelty to users and incentivized by Facebook
- Be punny – people need a break from the workday
- Flash numbers – show stats to prove your worth
- Be short – people are busy
- Evoke emotions – LinkedIn will reward by highlighting your content
- Use LinkedIn published – proprietary blog platform
- The Social Selling Indicator – tool that breaks the algorithm down into graphs and charts and is individualized to the user
- Post frequently – Instagram will diversify your presence so your posts aren’t seen back-to-back
- Invest in quality – higher quality content performs better than content you pay for; remember, it is a visual platform
- Invest in engagement – use stories as much as possible; it inherently opt-in so the people who watch are doing so by choice
- Post engaging captions – while there is no limit on characters, the first 180 are what a user sees before hitting the read more button
- Influencer marketing – a few thousand followers can go a long way to boosting your brand
- Post at all hours – people are on Instagram ALL the time
- Use live video – early adopters get rewarded!
Proactively Manage Your Social Accounts
Social media can be rewarding, but it’s not a quick win. If you want to stay ahead of the social media algorithms to get more renters, you need to have a holistic view of all your channels and what content is being posted by whom. G5 Reputation and Social Media Management gives you the insight you need to connect with your audiences and ensure that your social presence is on target and on brand.
Want to know how we do it? Schedule your demo today.